Smart insulin pens make the process of managing your diabetes easier. These insulin pens combine the features of being an injector pen and bolus adviser, plus Bluetooth technology that connects to smartphone apps.
A relatively new technology, there are a few available in the U.S. as of now: the NovoPen Echo, InPen, Clipsulin, the Timesulin pen cap, and the Gocap pen cap. More biomedical companies like Lilly and Novo Nordisk have smart insulin pens in the works.
Benefits of smart insulin pens
Here are the top benefits of smart insulin pen technology:
- Accurate dosage. Smart insulin pens provide a more accurate dosage of insulin based on calculations of your dose history.
- Keeping track. Smart pens track your entire dose history, including when you took each dose, and record it all in a handy app.
- Sharing. You can easily share the stored data with your doctor or anyone who might need the information.
- Price. Smart insulin pens are now covered by Cigna and UnitedHealthcare, among other insurers. With insurance, smart pens are more affordable than insulin pumps.
- Peace of mind. Knowing that your pen is tracking your info and giving you the correct dosage can help you have peace of mind. With smart insulin pens, you don’t have to worry about so many things when managing your diabetes. You have enough to manage!