There are some common symptoms that pop up that could be signs of diabetes. You should always see your doctor to make sure, and if you do have diabetes, take the proper steps to manage it.
Here are some of the top symptoms of diabetes. If you experience these, call your doctor:
- Feeling very hungry, even though you are eating
- Frequent urinating
- Feeling very thirsty
- Dry mouth
- Blurry vision
- Cuts and bruises that are slow to heal
- With type 1, weight loss can occur even though you are eating
- With type 2, tingling, pain, or numbness in the hands and feet can occur due to neuropathy
- Bleeding gums
- Skin infections
- Darkening of skin in body creases
- Breath that smells fruity, sweet, or acetone
- Diabetic coma
- Urinary tract infections, yeast infections, and vaginal itching
Hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia are the causes for many of these symptoms. Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) can cause blurry vision, hunger, nervousness, and fatigue.
Hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) can cause dizziness, extreme hunger, sweating, and shaking. The long term effects of hyperglycemia include heart disease, nerve damage, kidney damage, retina damage, cataracts, foot problems, bone and joint problems, skin problems, and tooth and gum infections.
Always see a doctor if you feel like you might have diabetes. Early detection is key not to allow any of the symptoms to go too far and cause damage to your body. With proper treatment and management of blood sugar these symptoms should subside.
With the right treatments, exercise and diet, you can live a productive, good life with diabetes.