You may be wondering: what are the best diabetes remedies out there? While diabetes cannot be cured, there are ways to make diabetes easier to live with, to control your blood sugar levels, and to help you feel better on a daily basis.
Six supplements for people with diabetes
- Vitamin D. Vitamin D is a powerhouse for diabetes. It helps your body destroy germs and viruses. This supplement also helps to fight against kidney and heart failure, and improves insulin function.
- Chromium. Chromium improves the way insulin works in your body. This trace mineral helps move glucose into your cells. Chromium has also been shown to reduce cholesterol.
- Cinnamon. A tasty addition to food or drink, cinnamon can lower blood sugar levels and increase insulin sensitivity. Adding cinnamon to your diet can also lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Just add a teaspoon to a drink or food, or try a drop or two of cinnamon essential oil.
- Berberine. Berberine is used in Asia for diabetes and stomach conditions. Studies in China have found that it’s as effective as metformin in controlling blood sugars. It can also ease nerve pain and kidney disease.
- Alpha lipoic acid (ALA). This potent antioxidant increases sensitivity to insulin. It protects blood vessels, delivers glucose to your muscles, improves neuropathy, and can even help with weight loss.
- Magnesium. This mineral can lower the risk of heart attack and stroke; plus it lowers blood sugar. Magnesium is essential for energy, protein, and DNA production.
These natural diabetes remedies can help your live better with diabetes. Pay attention to diet and exercise as well, and always let your doctor know what you are taking, since supplements can interact badly with certain drugs. You doctor or nutritionist can recommend the proper dosages. Take any supplements with food to reduce stomach irritation.